Thursday, September 18, 2008

Refocusing

God has really caused me to rethink my "ideal" youth ministry since coming to Harrison. I believe the icing on the cake came last night. So often in youth ministry (any ministry, church, or anything really) we get so focused on our programs, camps, retreats, mission trips, etc that we lose sight of our primary objective. We get so consumed with putting on a good "show" with high energy games, funny, high-quality videos, worship, and lessons that we don't leave time for what really matters. On Monday, I met with a guy in my youth group after school for a bible study. We spent like an hour and a half going through Ephesians 1 (that's only 23 verses) and just talking about life and ministry. I go to the school lunches pretty regular during the week, I'm fixing to make my 3rd trip this week, but haven't ever really thought about impact that sitting at a lunch table with a kid can really have. It's always just kinda been, show up, hang out, and leave as kind of a routine scheduled part of my day. But I realized just how valuable that time can truly be last night. Yesterday while at lunch, I sat with one of my students that was sitting alone outside. I didn't really think anything about it, but last night his mom came up and thanked me because I sat with him. I probably sat with him a total of 10 minutes, but it was the highlight of his day. Often times, we don't really just how impacting a relationship can be, whether we are in "professional ministry" or not. 

My challenge for those in ministry is to not lose sight of what matters most. Don't get so busy planning and organizing that you neglect spending time with students. Christ didn't lock himself up in an office planning out his next big event, trying to figure out a video to go with his lesson, or a great game to kick things off. He walked beside his disciples, lived life with them, teaching them as they walked side-by-side while reaching out to those that were lost. He went to those in need rather than staying in one spot waiting for them to show up to his program. There was nothing organized about his ministry, just discipling those that were walking with him and teaching the gospel to those that hadn't yet chosen to follow. My youth ministry vision once involved high energy games, funny videos, incredible worship services, and powerful messages. (not that there is anything wrong with those things, as long as we don't lose focus of what does really matter) Now it has shifted to personal, meaningful relationships and challenging students with Scripture. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Son, you are growing by leaps and bounds spiritually. I witness that fact in your "deeper" posts. I am so proud of you and the strong Christian you are becoming, and the way you are letting God grow you in the word.
You are going to "get the big head"! And I mean that in the most complimentary way...Big as in full of sooooo much knowledge about our Lord and Saviour.
How'd I get so blessed to be the Mom of such wonderful children??
I love you, Mom

Amelia said...

I just wanted to let you know that I am proud to be your sister, and it is a privledge to be able to call you my brother. You are a true role model to me, and I appreciate everything you do for me and others. You have so muc potential, and God is using you in so many ways, it's amazing. Thanks for showing and teaching others the right way. I love you dearly!
(By the way, your blog made me cry)