Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Call to Missions

I was reading in Acts yesterday and a passage really jumped out at me. I've always heard Acts 2:4 as a verse used to validate speaking in tongues. "All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them." I have always heard those that support speaking in tongues use this verse not only to validate themselves but often times to set themselves on a spiritual pedestal as if they are more filled with the Holy Spirit then other believers, even to the point of saying that someone doesn't have the Holy Spirit if they don't speak in tongues.  After reading this passage (in context) yesterday, I really think that this is more of an eye-opening passage toward God's heart for missions and preaching the Gospel throughout the world. Acts 2:1-12: "When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues (or languages) as the Spirit enabled them. Now they were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. Utterly amazed, they asked: 'Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea, and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phyrgia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs - we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues (or languages)!' Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, 'What does this mean?'"

Those that were filled didn't just start speaking in tongues that nobody understood or that needed a translator. They started speaking in different languages "as the Spirit enabled them." People from all over the nation who all spoke different languages heard this and came (probably saying "Wow, what in the world is going on and why are these Galileans speaking my native language?"). They asked "What does this mean?" (You may be asking the same thing) This means that God has a heart and passion for the Gospel to be shared throughout the world in every language. They were able to speak the different languages "as the Spirit enabled them," they each spoke different languages as God prepared them and called them.  God is calling you to share His Gospel somewhere in this world. Are you willing to listen to and obey that calling? Or are you still doing everything in your power to ignore it? Are you making excuses like "I don't know other languages, or I don't have time or energy or resources or the courage?" God will equip you, it's just a matter of you bowing down the King of kings and obeying his call. Your mission may be here in the US, at your work, across the street, in your classroom, at the restaurant, I don't know. I feel confident that my current mission field is among youth, but our mission field is so much bigger than that. What about my neighbors at my apartment? What about the person who sits next to you in class? What if God really is calling you to learn another language or culture? 

I've been talking to a friend who has an absolute love for India and she has been telling me about all the persecution of Christians that has been going on over there. Like 4,000 homes and 100 churches have been burned. Christians dying for their faith everyday. My heart breaks for our brothers and sisters in Christ, yet even more so, my heart breaks because of the apathy of Christians here in the US. John 15:20 says, "If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also..." If we are truly living a life sold out to Christ then we should be suffering! We are so comfortable and so ineffective that Satan doesn't have to worry about attacking us in order to slow down the spread of the Gospel. Satan loves when a Christian abandons his faith more than anything, but a close second would have to be a Christian that poses no threat to Satan's worldly kingdom. 

I kidnapped a few things from my friends blog for that last paragraph. (Miranda, I hope you don't mind). But I do want to encourage you to read her blog. God has definitely used her to open my eyes to missions and I think she'll have the same effect on you. You can check out her blog at http://agirlinlovewithindia.blogspot.com or follow the link in my bloggers anonymous area. 

Alright, I've gotta get back to the daily grind.

2 comments:

Becke' said...

I like this post! Something I heard earlier this year was that when Moses came down off the mountain...with the law...3000 people died. When the law was given, 3000 died. At Pentecost and when the gospel was given, 3000 were saved! The law brings death because we cannot live up to its standards on our own. Because of grace and the cross, we are able to meet up to the standard, because Jesus fulfilled it FOR us! yeah!

Anonymous said...

I read Miranda's blog yesterday.
On 9-9-08, I read her blog from 9-9-07!!
I was very impressed with her compassion, concern, devotion to and obvious love for the people of India.
Mom