Monday, September 29, 2008

Camp War Eagle

I spent the past weekend helping Eagle Heights with their fall retreat at Camp War Eagle. I spent the weekend as a small group leader, sound/video guy, setup and tear down, etc. Great weekend in ministry full of great opportunities to catch up and visit with old friends. Camp War Eagle has a few memories for me, both good and bad. I worked there 3 summers ago. Met alot of great friends, ministered to some great kids, and had some frustrations along the way. It was the cause of my 1st shoulder dislocation. Now that I've had 6, I really wish that that first one wouldn't have ever happened. God showed me a lot about ministry, mainly the importance of long-term discipleship compared to the camp "bring 'em in, ship em' out." 

This year had a bit of a personal aspect that I wasn't really expecting or ready for. Last year, while interning for Eagle Heights, we had our fall retreat at War Eagle. I talked Kiley into being a small group leader for us. I think it was the first time that I had ever done ministry with Kiley. She did an incredible job and had an incredible impact on the lives of her students and I felt that we grew closer as brother and sister than we ever had before. I was looking forward to many more years of having her help in ministry whenever I needed it. So, needless to say, I missed not having her bouncing around this weekend giving me a boost from her off the wall energy. (I tend to stay up way later and wake up way earlier at these retreats and could've used somebody to add to my energy level). I love you Kiley and miss you daily.



No comments: