Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Friend or Fan?

Why is it that rainy days make me so tired and unproductive? I mean seriously. Here I am sitting in my office not able to focus on anything, therefore being VERY unproductive (and I don't even have a window in my office... maybe I need one). I'm working on the school year youth calendar, but being very indecisive. Bad combination. Aye aye aye!

In other news, I've been wanting to post something about what I talked about at youth a couple weeks ago, but I couldn't ever find the video that I wanted to go with it. I don't know if you've seen any of the ESPN Radio TV commercials, but they are great and this is one of them. It's not the one that first came to my mind, but it's the only one I could find and it definitely gets my point across.

Friend or Fan?


Matthew 7:21-23: "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles? Then I will tell them plainly, I never knew you, Away from me, you evildoers!"

I read this passage and can't help but think of sports fans. I think of a Razorback fan who feels that Darren McFadden is the greatest Razorback football player ever. (I'm not saying he's not, just providing an example). Well this DMac fan goes around the country talking him up and telling everybody how good he is and is gonna be in the NFL etc. Goes to all of his games. He wears his jersey to games, to the mall, to work, shoot even to church. This fan has all of his trading cards, posters, autographed footballs, the works. He IS DMac's biggest fan. One day, he sees Darren McFadden and goes up to him talking to him like they've known each other for years, right? The only problem is that DMac has never met this person in his life. This person may be DMac's biggest fan, but he's not his friend. As much as he talks about DMac and brags about him to others, there is no relationship there.

I often times see this in "Christians" too. We walk around telling everybody that we see how great Jesus is and how happy we're gonna be in heaven with Him. Go to all his games (church). Wear his "jersey" (christian apparel and the Bible) to games (church), the mall, work, shoot even to real games (ever seen the "John 3:16" signs at a football game?) Has all of his "trading cards and souvenirs." Shoot, even I have a "dancing dashboard Jesus." But then, someday we'll actually meet Jesus and start talking to him like we've known him for a long time. The only problem is that Jesus has never met this person... ever! This "christian" may be Jesus' biggest fan, but he's not his friend. As much as he talks about DMac and brags about him to others, there is no relationship there.

Jesus is pretty blunt in saying that it doesn't matter if you cheer for him on the sidelines. He wants a relationship with you, if you don't have that he will tell you plainly: "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!"

Are you a fan of Jesus or a friend of Jesus?

2 comments:

Amelia said...

I like cookies too~

So I loved your blog. I like how you compare sermons to everyday life. It becomes even more realistic and understandable! Your a Gr8t Preacher Boy! Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas. ur amazing!

The West Family said...

Kirbster, your saying great things. Jesus is clearly wanting a realtionship with men, but are the going to look at His obedient life and just say that's nice what you did. Or will they actually say He is Lord and is to be their Lord from this day forth. Well we all have a choice. Be a fan or friend...a friend and an intimate one is the greatest invitation we will ever receive.