Tuesday, October 7, 2008

J'eet Yet?

I'm going through David Nasser's bible study "A Call to Die" with my students and what I read today really got me thinking, so I thought I'd share a little.

If you have ever been out to eat with me in public then you know that I have this odd habit/ability/whatever you want to call it to put away sweet tea like nobody's business. On a side note, I do love sweet tea! Just about a week ago, I drank like 8 glasses of sweet tea at a restaurant during lunch....8 glasses! I imagine the waitress thought there was something seriously wrong with me. Needless to say that I spent the rest of the day going to the bathroom. When I was younger, I came to the conclusion that I must have multiple stomachs (like a cow) because it didn't matter how much I ate or how full I was, I always had room for more to drink (usually sweet tea) and dessert. So back to sweet tea, pretty much the most amazing thing available to drink in the whole world. As I sit somewhere and drink sweet tea, it is so satisfying and refreshing, yet I continue to want more. 

Matthew 5:6 says: "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." In his bible study, Nasser says, "It is a spiritual paradox that when we are thirsty for God and we drink, he satisfies us and yet leaves us thirsting for him even more. When we are hungry for God and eat his nourishing word, we are refreshingly satisfied and yet we are hungry for much more." I have discovered this to be so true the past couple months. As I continue to seek God and spend time in Scripture, I am filled and find satisfaction but my hunger only grows. As I spend time in Scripture and alone with God, my desire for that time continues to grow as well. I want to challenge you to find ways to satisfy that thirst and hunger that you have for God so that He will continue to grow your hunger for him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so very true! good word. thanks for sharing. Becke'