Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Crazy? Yea, a little bit





I had the incredible opportunity to go skydiving in Siloam Springs this past weekend with some friends. Let me just say, WOW! It was an absolutely amazing experience that I would love to do over and over again. The experience started with flying up in a tiny plane (with plenty of duct tape to get your heart racing) above the clouds to a total of 9500 ft. Then, as I'm sitting right beside the door (literally my left arm is pressed against it), the door flies open and you look out with wind rushing into your face and think "what in the world am I doing up here." Then the fun part starts, maneuver into position to jump then "ready, set, jump" and your are falling through the air (I reached a top speed of 130 mph). The experience is unlike anything you would ever imagine. As your falling (still above the clouds) and looking down at the ground and across the horizon, it doesn't even feel like your falling. Heights isn't even an issue because you are so high up. Like I sometimes get nervous when I'm going up a shaky extension ladder, but everything was so far away, you don't even feel like you'd ever hit the ground. Falling was such an adrenaline rush. Way more than anything I've ever done before, which things like rock climbing, rappelling, white water rafting, skiing, and a sky swing. Then you pull the chute and feel like you stop (and no, its not painful and doesn't feel like your shooting back in the air). When falling, the wind is crazy loud but once the chute is out, it is so peaceful. No noise whatsoever except for just a touch of wind and the conversation between you and the person your with. At one point we even came to a complete stop and it was dead quiet and such an amazing experience considering the noisy world that we live in today. Then as your floating down back to earth, you look around and see the earth from a whole new perspective. We were right over 412 and looked over at Springdale and Fayetteville. Just looking down and seeing God's creation from a much broader scope. A lake here, a pasture there, JBU over there, cars running around looking like little ants. It was such a glorious experience and time over God telling me "This is what I see." We get so caught up in our minute daily lives, so focused on what is going on in our office or our living room that we don't ever step back and allow God to show us His creation from His point of view. Make an opportunity for yourself to experience God's broader creation rather than being so focused on your personal agenda for the day. Go to the top of a mountain/hill, take a hot air balloon ride, go skydiving, take a hike, whatever; just don't miss out on God's glorious creation because your so focused on man-made things like this computer your looking at right now. 

And don't be overly concerned with playing it safe and keeping yourself out of harms way. God created you with a heart for adventure, I promise. Don't starve your heart of the adventure that it desires. Live a little, do something that scares you. Witness to your neighbor (just talk to your neighbor), go on a mission trip, whatever it is, don't let fear keep you from experiencing life its fullest. I've dislocated my shoulder 7 times in the past 28 months. Does common sense say to quit doing those things that would cause me to dislocate my shoulder again (like playing basketball or going skydiving)? You bet it does, but do I let fear and pain control my life to the point that I am no longer enjoying it and enjoying the pleasures that God has placed in my heart? Nope, I went skydiving just last weekend (a week and a half after dislocating my shoulder), I'm playing basketball tonight (2 weeks after dislocating my shoulder while playing basketball). Live your life, thats what God wants you to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! My baby brother is still alive! Did you team up with a pro or what? Did Miranda go with ya? OK...the line about "just talk to your neighbor" had me in stitches! I love you and I am so proud of your bravery. Hey, have you read "Wild at Heart" or anything else that John Eldredge has written? I think you would love it!
becke'

Anonymous said...

Yeah! My baby brother is still alive! Did you team up with a pro or what? Did Miranda go with ya? OK...the line about "just talk to your neighbor" had me in stitches! I love you and I am so proud of your bravery. Hey, have you read "Wild at Heart" or anything else that John Eldredge has written? I think you would love it!
becke'

Kirby said...

Yea, I was hooked up to a "jump-master." Yea, I've read "Wild at Heart" and "The Way of the Wild Heart." I really liked both of them.