Friday, October 10, 2008

Sleepy?

So I was reading in Acts today and came across a passage that hadn't ever really grabbed my attention before. Then I started thinking of a good friend of mine who tends to fall asleep everytime he is in church.... sometimes while he's on stage. Haha. 

Acts 20:7-12
  "On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight. There were many lamps in the upstairs room where we were meeting. Seated in a window was a young man named Eutychus, who was sinking into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. When he was sound asleep, he fell to the ground from the third story and was picked up dead. Paul went down, threw himself on the young man and put his arms around him. 'Don't be alarmed,' he said. 'He's alive!' Then he went upstairs again and broke bread and ate. After talking until daylight, he left. The people took the young man home alive and were greatly comforted."


So, the next time your having trouble staying awake in church, use this for inspiration to stay awake! Eutychus was lucky enough to have Paul come down and save him even though he fell asleep during his sermon. Your pastor may not be so kind. 

But the reason I think Paul is so eager to restore him to life (even though he fell asleep during his sermon) is because of the boy's heart. The boy wanted to be there, he was exhausted yet he still made the effort the be there to hear God's Word. (And the impact ended up being far greater than he expected when he showed up). How many times do we find ourselves feeling too tired to go to church? So we just lay in bed and skip. God understands that you've had a busy week (and your pastor may understand every once in a while too) but what greater place to find peace and rest than in the presence of God and His people hearing from His Word?

This story also hits home to me personally. I used to be one of the teens that just couldn't stay awake during church. Something about sitting there quiet and still for a very long time (and usually in a church that always felt too warm to me) that really tried to put me down for the count. Now years later (and I still find myself struggling to stay awake occasionally), I find myself in the position of youth pastor teaching students that can't stay awake either. But rather than get frustrated or upset, I am simply glad that they have the desire to be there and know that God is going to speak to them one way or another (I just hope I don't have any students dying during my lessons!)

1 comment:

The "W" Family said...

Hey Kirby,
your students are lucky to have you.

we made our blog private but if you would like to keep up, you can just email me at cwilson34@sbcglobal.net and I'll add you. I tried to add you but i didn't have your email. Hope you're doing good!