Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A New Injury!

Well, I've dislocated my shoulder so many times that it was starting to get boring so I've decided to venture out and discover new ways to injure myself. So, last Friday night, I found a new way; although it really feels like I just decided to pick up where Kiley left off. While pitching with the bases loaded the ball was slowly grounded back about half way between me and home. I picked it up and decided to just step on home when I realized that the person running home was much faster than I had originally realized, so I went a little faster and as I was about to tag him, he slid. I tagged him out but to keep from stepping on him, I guess I planted my toe into the ground while the rest of my momentum carried forward. Needless to say, I (and my catcher) heard my ankle pop about 3 times. Knowing that I had slightly sprained my ankle, I waited for the ump to call the runner out (I was prepared to argue if he'd had been called safe). He called him out, I made my way to the dugout when all the sudden the adrenaline wore off and my ankle just started killing me. I couldn't put any pressure on it and when I looked down it was already swollen out of my shoe. I quickly realized that I wasn't gonna be able to "walk it off" like I had originally planned and made my way off the field to lay down, elevate and ice it. Eventually, as the pain got so bad that I was turning pale and shaking, we decided to go to a doctor. Nothing broken, but severely sprained with a possible torn ligament or two (which would be much worse than a break). I haven't been able to walk on it after 4 days and crutches while living on the second floor of an apartment has gotten real annoying. I've decided that dislocating a shoulder is much better than hurting anything that effects walking. Here are some pictures showing how swollen it all is from shin to toes.










5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow!  I was wondering when you were gona post some puctures!!! Grosssss! I'm sorry! : (. Poor bubba

Anonymous said...

Whoa Dude!!!!
That's horrible!
I sure hope it's not a torn ligament....but, the pictures don't look too promising. You just don't do injuries in a small way, do you!
You and your Father! What am I gonna do with you two?

Robin and Stephen said...

Ouch! That looks painful! I hope it gets better soon! At least you got him out!

Becke' said...

Eric wants you to know that old men shouldn't be playing softball.

Kirby said...

Is that why he doesn't play? Hehe.